Commercial awareness can be simply defined as ‘staying up-to-date on daily happenings and developments in the business and commercial world’.
Becoming commercially aware takes time, it does not happen overnight. It is something that you develop over time, as you gain experience and develop your knowledge.
In my sketchbook, I wrote down what commercial awareness meant to me, and what words first come to mind:
- Aware of trends
- Need to be aware of potential reactions & responses (good/bad)
- Working in the service industry
- Having a market perception
- Knowing your customers
- Allows a brand to have a correct & clear direction
- Being conscious of customers